Calypso Capers

Portosin, Muros, Caraminal, with visitors

We had agreed to meet Mark and Sue in Portosin on Sunday 2nd September, subject to weather conditions allowing us to get there in time. If not, the airport at Santiago de Compostela is equidistant from many of the stops on the way there, and as they were arriving mid-evening on a Sunday, the Cookies had booked an airport transfer taxi.

Rounding the End of the World!

When we returned to Coruna our friends, (“acquired” last year in France) Ros and Alan, were in the marina on Musetta. We enjoyed a couple of evenings with them before saying “hasta luego” and heading South. We had friends from England due to visit and wanted to meet them in the Rias Baixas, South of the renowned Cabo Finisterra, where apparently the weather is warmer and generally more settled.

A visit home and back across Biscay

The photo above is the aftermath of our family & friends party – our way of catching up with everyone during a short visit home – but which is very hard work and we are pleased to be back in Spain for a rest!

However I pen this at midnight, after an early night to bed, listening to fireworks and excited chattering……………….

Mera, Ares and dolphins!!

We left Coruna and headed out to anchor for a few days whilst the weather was so settled. First stop was Ensenada de Mera, shown above, just 2.5 nm across the bay from Coruna. The main town beach is in the distance, with the smaller and prettier Praia de Espineiro in the foreground left. We were joined by Adam and Lynne, who anchored closer to the main beach than we did – shown in the photograph above.

La Coruna

We had a forecast for our 34nm trip that would see us motoring from Cedeira towards Coruna until early/middle afternoon, and so with our propeller issue, and knowing that the forecast doesn’t always behave, we set off fairly early. Actually the forecast was quite accurate. We motored past the minor cape, Cabo Prior in glorious sunshine and a very light North Easterly – directly behind us.

Ria de Cedeira

The forecast for the 33 nm trip was one of light North East winds increasing as the day went on. And for once the forecast was spot on! After 3 hours of motoring the engine went off and we were goose winging as we passed by the feared Cabo Ortegal. Whilst this is not somewhere to be in the wrong conditions, today (6th July) the Cabo was a Gato (pussycat)!

Visitors in Viveiro

So we left Ribadeo with the promise of an East wind, hopefully with some North in it, of a strength that would see us sailing pretty much all the way to Vivero, 33 nm away. All the forecasts agreed. Sadly, all the forecasts were wrong and once again we found ourselves slogging under engine into a Westerly!